Friday, February 27, 2009

Upward and onward

Since I found the pictures I wanted on the hard drive, it has been easier to continue with where I began on this blog. So, here is a short history of my paternal grandmother.

Annie LeFevre was born 24 Sept. 1888, in Spry, Garfield, Utah, she died 28 August 1960 in Panguatch, Garfield, Utah. Her father was John Henry LeFevre from Parowan, Iron, Utah and her Grandfather was William LeFevre. Here is where the polygamy pops up in our family, my great great grandfather William LeFever, had 2 wife's at the same time. Grandma LeFever Wilcock said that she called her grandfather's second wife Aunt Fanny, her name was Francis Banks.

Annie LeFever married Ralph James Wilcock on 21 June 1911, they were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple in 1912. They had 8 children, 6 boys and 2 girls. Annie was often left alone by her husband, I think I mention that in his posting and the reason why. When you read Grandma's auto biography you can almost feel the resentment come through.

There is one story that when she was expecting one of the babies, she was once again alone, she sent one of the boys out to get the doctor, or midwife, I don't remember which one. The older son rebelled (it was a cold and dreary night) so grandmother took a razor strop to him to make him do what was needed. Later that strop went missing and was found on top of the house cut into very small pieces. No one else was ever convinced to do anything by that strop again.

Annie was the oldest of 9 children and was not afraid of hard work. Her family was raised in Spry, Garfield, Utah on a farm, or ranch. After she was married, the family had to "go home" to Spry and seek help from her parents. Therefore, that's where my own father was born. They ended up living in Panguitch, Garfield, Utah in a large Victorian red brick home. I remember going to that home as a girl to visit my grandparents.


Here is a picture of Annie LeFevre Wilcock:


I know somewhere I have an adorable picture of Annie and her younger sister Effie when they were children, when I fine it I'll post it for you but for now this will have to do.






Grandpa & Grandma Wilcock.
Ralph James Wilcock &Annie LeFevre Wilcock.
You are right I croped this picture for their individual photos.








Here is a photo of the children of Ralph and Annie, I think this was taken in Panguitch after Annie's funeral. Standing is John M. (Jack), H. Edith, Annie Elizabeth (Beth) J. Garn - Front is Alma, Grant (my father) Gale, & Author (Art). I hope you can see it, it scanned really small. Double click on the picture and you can see it better, It's a little fuzzie, and Uncle Garn, must have moved because his face is really funny. Sorry!

Anyway, that's all for now, it's almost my bedtime, where should I go nexe?? Any suggestions??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about an excerpt from Annie's history?

Jacquie said...

OK You got it, as soon as I find it!!!