Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Writer's Block

I don't know what's wrong with me, writers block?? I can't seem to get going on my Dad's side of the family. I've put all my pictures on an external hard drive and it's hard to retrieve them. However, upward and onward and I'll write a little about my paternal grand parents.


Ralph James Wilcock, born 21 June 1876 in Parowan, Iron, Utah. Died 4 Nov. 1956 in Salt Lake City, Utah - I remember Grandpa as Dark hair, brown eyes and tall, he was probably at least 6 ft., and very thin. He like to sing and played a couple of instruments, especially the piano. He was a taxidermist and had "stuffed" animals around the house. He worked in a saw mill near Panguitch, I think it was a pardner ship or he owned it. Sorry I don't know that much about my grandfather Wilcock.

My grandmother was his second wife, he married her after his first wife died. He had a daughter by his first wife who lived with her maternal grandparents. The story is that whenever "Madge" called, grandpa jumped up and ran. I think this caused some problems with my grandfather and their family.

Grandpa was the youngest of 9 boys, and his family consisted of 8 children, my father was number 4. At this writing, only on of the children is still living, the youngest, Alma. Uncle Alma lives in Murray, Utah.

I'm going to try to retrieve a picture of grandpa, I don't think I have one when he was young but let's see what I can come up with.



Ok, so I did find a picture of a young Ralph James Wilcock. I don't really know when this was taken, he looks to be about 20???
I have one of a group of musicians with him playing an instrument when he was a very young boy.
He grew up in Parowan, Iron, Utah - his family was very active Church Members.

Great I did find a photo of Grandpa Wilcock as an older man. I know he loved the great out doors and I think he transfered that love to each of his boys. I know my father loved to be out in the open.
Next I'll give you a little history on Grandmother Wiclcok, we didn't know our Wilcock grandparents too well, we seldom went to visit them and I don't remember them visiting us too often. When they did visit us we had a kneeling prayer at dinner. The chairs were turned backwards to the table and we would kneel to pray. We seldom prayed in our home and I found I liked them to come visit.

Grandpa's first wife was Virginia Jackson, here is a picture of her. She and Ralph had 4 children, three boys and 1 girl. All died as infants except for the girl Madge. I don't know much about them, because they are not my direct line, however if you are interested you can check new.familysearch.org to get the whole family.
Gosh, I guess once I get started you can't stop me, however that's enough for now. Next time I get the bug I'll tell you about my paternal grandmother.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting to hear more about that side of the family! Thanks for pushing through the writer's block. Can't wait for more.