Sunday, May 23, 2010

Old Books


I love old books, I was going to take a picture of my bookshelf, but this was easier. Actually some of my shelf's look much like this. -- The Point Jacquie!
I have been bored with what I was reading "Harry Potter" again, Margaret Frazer who writes "Medieval Mystery", Thought about going back to Mitford and just may. A new book by Richard Paul Evans "The Walk" - interesting, but easy read - didn't last long. So I pulled some "old" books off my shelf. (I love having a library) "The Man on the Box" by Harold MacGrath - he was also a screen writer so pictures in the book are of a stage play - very cool. What is better, my copy of the book was published in 1904, so I'm holding a book that is over 100 years old. This book was a romantic comedy - very fun - sometimes I didn't understand the houmer, but I'm not quite 100 years old. I'm sure it was much more funny at the time. The upside is - it is CLEAN!!! I didn't have to worry about sex or language, it is a really fun read!
The one I'm reading now is "Lovely is the Lee" by Robert Gibbings. Published in 1942 - older than me!!! If you have ever read "Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck (in my opinion he only wrote 1 or 2 books worth reading) you will get the gest of this book. The difference, Robert Gibbings is wondering around Ireland talking to "old" folks about the fairies and "little People" other interesting stuff that happens in that old country. It's a little hard to follow, but it seems to be growing on me.
That's really all I have, I hope you are enjoying the Conference Talks, especially President Monson, he spoke 4 time in April, so next post will be President Eyering. Thanks for listening JP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! I'm re-reading Harry Potter also because I'm in a book slump.... just can't find something satisfying! Sort of like when you have the munchies and are grazing the kitchen but nothing really sounds good.

Linda Stahr said...

Book slump? Try reading The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society. It's surprisingly good and wholesome! And when you're finished with that, I've got a TON of other recommendations. (we really liked "The Princess Academy".) Granted, most of these are NOT "adult" books, but that's because we've got pre-teens here, and quite honestly I've never grown out of the little kid books.