Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I love General Conference

Does anyone else feel this way?
The week before Conference, I anxiously await Saturday and Sunday. I record all sessions of Conference and since the last one, 6 months ago, I've watched them several times and am ready once again to "set at the feet of the Prophets"!
We are blessed in that we can stay at home and "sit at the feet of the prophets" so if we want we can watch in our "jammies". I'm not sure if I can do that this conference because we have the Missionaries from our Ward living with us. I think they might even put on a white shirt and tie to watch with us, maybe I should at least get dressed.
Sooo who is your favorite Conference Speaker??? I really like Elder Nelson and Elder Oaks, Gene's favorite is Elder Holland and we are looking forward to hearing more from our newest Apostle Elder (can any of you remember) Andersen. President Monson is always a welcome speaker, I love our Prophet and am always very happy to hear from him!!
Let me know how you watch Conference and who your favorite speakers are. I hope all my dear family is "anxiously engaged" in Conference this weekend.
Here's some Prophet trivia: How long was it after Joseph Smith was martyred that President Brigham Young was sustained as Prophet?
Now how long after Brigham Young died was President John Taylor sustained?
One more after John Taylor died how long until President Wilford Woodruff was sustained?
So who was the Prophet that was sustained within days of the former Prophet's death?
That practice has continued to this day and we always know who the Lord has put in place, or chosen, to be Prophet on earth at any given time.
Let me know your answers, there may be a "prize" for the winner!!
Relax this week and enjoy Conference, however, do NOT call me between 9 and 11am and 1 and 3pm Pacific daylight time either day, because I probably won't answer the phone and I'll know you are not watching!!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ya know, I don't know any of the answers to those questions, but I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend! As far as a favorite speaker - I don't really have one. I usually have 2 or 3 favorite talks from each conference, so I'll let you know what they are. President Hinckley is probably my all time favorite speaker... I just love that man. I always look forward to hearing the prophet speak, and can't wait to hear the words President Monson has for us!

Anonymous said...

I could look up all those answers and look really smart, but I just don't feel like it. I am also looking forward to this weekend. I generally enjoy Elder Bednar or Holland, but also anyone who happens to offer some tidbit I need. I just don't always know what I need until it happens.

Nicole said...

You are so right--conference is the best! We're definitely into the "jammies in front of the TV while knitting/crocheting" scene. (Then we take our time going through the conference issue of the Ensign for FHE). My favorite speakers are usually Elder Oaks and Elder Holland. And Elder Bednar. And Elder Christofferson (I loved some of the talks he gave while in the Seventy). Elder Hales has definitely hit some right out of the park too--his last one was amazing, and a few years ago he gave the best talk I've EVER heard about tithing! So...it seems like I pretty much like all of them. Sheesh. Guess I'm with Loralie--I especially like the talks that seem to be what I need. As for the Church history questions...I'll leave those for Troy to answer.
~Nicole