Building a Lone Star Quilt - I had forgotten how time consuming this project is. First, I had a wonderful time at one of my favorite quit shops choosing the fabrics. My friend Julie and I had a great time playing with fabric.
When I got home I wasn't so sure that is what I wanted, I needed my Loralie to come an help me see the contrast was right. I had even dug out extra fabrics from my, greatly diminished stash. Loralie set me straight and so now I'm on a roll.
Now sew - then you will cut again, then you will sew again. Not as hard as it appears. However you do have to get your points to match. At this part, I decided I had lost the skill needed to make one of these quilts. I'll pass the book on to anyone else that wants it.

So the top is done - squaring it up is a challenge!!! I think it's square --- Next......
Yup!!! Too big for my bed.
Next came marking, I'm using Blanch Young's strip quilting method and that requires marking before you cut.
Using Blanch & Helen Young's strip quilting method. It's a lot easier than cutting individual "diamonds". Another plus with this method is you don't have to handle the bias as much, therefore it doesn't stretch.

Next is cutting - I don't know how I made any quilt without the "wizzie wacker" (rotary cutter). When I first began quilting - long, long, ago - all we had to cut with was a scissor. Now I hardly use the scissor.
Make sure you have your fabrics laid out the way you want them to appear in your quilt. In other words, keep all your ducks in a roll!!
Next is cutting - I don't know how I made any quilt without the "wizzie wacker" (rotary cutter). When I first began quilting - long, long, ago - all we had to cut with was a scissor. Now I hardly use the scissor.
So the top is done - squaring it up is a challenge!!! I think it's square --- Next......
It has to grow - so you add boarders to make it fit a bed. This one must fit a king size bed .
Yup!!! Too big for my bed.
I don't have a room quite big enough to lay it our and baste it. I like to pin baste - so we crawl around on the floor for a couple of hours to get the job done.
Finally it's on the quilt frame!!! This is the boring part of quilting, so I quilt in front of a TV and because it's October I have a couple of ghost stories to watch. I've already gone through "The Canterville Ghost" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Mur". I guess I will now pull out "Pride and Prejudice" ( the long version) and see if that will help get this baby finished.
I have several Christmas DVD's if it goes that far. The plan is having it finished for Christmas. I also plan to move before then so we'll see what happens. (No the house hasn't sold yet).
Sooooo Keep me in your prayers so Troy and Nicole gets a Christmas Gift this year. I hope they like it!!!!
Sooooo Keep me in your prayers so Troy and Nicole gets a Christmas Gift this year. I hope they like it!!!!
5 comments:
It's gorgeous!!!! Can't wait to see it in person. I admire you for quilting by hand--the few quilts I've made are all machine quilted after piecing. Having some good shows to watch would help...
Before you move to Christmas Movies, you should watch "Topper" and "Topper Returns" (with emphasis on Topper Returns...) GREAT Halloween family movies that I would let my three year old watch... If I had a three year old. Which I don't. I have a four year old and a two year old. I guess the average age of them is threee..... sometimes that all they ever act! I love quilting. I just can't ever get my corners to match. Except on accident when I'm trying to make them match on purpose..... See my dilema?????
I'll take the hand me down book! Someday I'll have crazy quilting skills like you and give one of those lone-star quilts a try. You're is fantastic! Obviously, you can't move until you're done quilting it. You wouldn't want to have to take it off the frames now, would you?
I love it! I think you are doing an awesome job...and if this means you have lost skills, I am way....far behind!
Thanks to all of you, I must comfess, I'm so "rusty" that I have to hand quilt so I can correct any mistakes.
Post a Comment