Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ole Jensen

Ole Jensen: Some history about this photo, I found this photo while visiting Alta Baker Black, a grand daughter of Lars Peter Jensen. "Aunt" Alta had according to my mom and her siblings, all the Jensen Genealogy. I was expecting a book of remembrance with everything in order and easy to look at - NOT!!! It was a cardboard box about 14 inches square, but she did allow me to go through it and copy what I wanted. In some of the papers was this photo, it was labeled! The original was about 2 inches square, I asked if I could take it to a photo shop and have it duplicated, but she was reluctant to part with it for even 1 day. I did talk her into letting me take it to a copy machine and make a photo copy. I took all the information that I thought would pertain to my family and copied it. My Aunt Beverly was with me or I may have not even have been allowed to do that. Aunt Alta was born in 1895 and this was in 1977 so she was about 83 years old. Anyway, I took the photo copy to a friend of mine that was taking some photo classes and she took a picture of it (in black and white) and developed it and actually it came out better than the very old original. Sooooo if you have old "copies" of photo's don't be afraid to have them photographed and see what happens.

Ole Jensen, father of Lars Peter Jensen, can you guess which one in the photo is Lars Peter, came to the United States before 1876, they made their way to Draper, Salt Lake, Utah. Ole Jensen died shortly after arriving in Draper. The reason Draper was their destination is that their daughter Caroline had preceded them, and was settled with her family in Draper.
Ole Jensen born 20 April 1817 - Rye, Gorlev, Holbaek, Denmark. Died 8 Dec 1876, Draper, Salt Lake, Utah.
I don't have a lot of history on the Ole Jensen, maybe the history of Caroline one of their daughters will tell us more. I alluded to that history as one of Lars Peters Daughters in my last post, but in fact this Caroline is his sister. I'll dig it our and send it to anyone interested.

Ole married Ane Marie Rasmusdatter on 23 June 1841 in StoreFudgele, Holbaek, Denmark. She was born/Christened - 28 Nov. 1819 in Svebolle, Holbaek, Denmark. note: Ane Marie Rasmusdatter has often been confused with Lars Peter's mother-in-law who is Ane Kristine Rasmusdatter born in 1807. It has been a chore for me to keep these two women separate.
Their oldest child is Dorthea - born 22 Aug 1841, Ulstrup, Gorlev, Holbaek, Denmark and died 9 March 1869, according to the family bible. I have no record if she ever joined the church or if she came to America, she did marry Christian Nielsen. Perhaps I should explain patronymics in Denmark the children took the first name of the father, the sons added sen (son) and the daughters added datter (daughter) as their last name so Dorthea would have been Dorthea Olesdatter. The practice was diminishing by the time Dorthea was born so the Ole Jensen children continued using their fathers sir name Jensen. The practice was completely stopped in 1850.
Next child is Lars Peter, if you read the previous post you know more about him. He preceded his family to Utah so this picture had to have been taken in Denmark. Did you guess he was the oldest son standing between his parents?



Born 6 Feb 1847 in Soeby, Gorlev, Holbaek, Denmark died 8 Jun 1917 in, I think, Draper, Salt Lake, Utah.
Caroline, this is the sister I have a short history of, she joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Denmark. In the spring of 1866 she left Denmark to come to Zion. She embarked on the vessel Kennilworth. On board she met Niels Boberg a convert to the gospel and whom she had met when he was doing missionary work in Aarhus. They were married while at sea in June 1866, but Elder Samuel Sprague. She was the first to come to "Zion" , she and her husband settled in Draper, therefore when others of her family came they settled with her.
Jens Christen Jensen - Born 30 Jun 1851, Soeby, Gorley, Holbaek, Denmark - died 21 Apr 1911 - I think he came with his parents about 1840/41. He married Caroline Butler. I don't know where he died, Probably Utah??



Next child is Soren Peter Jensen born 18 April 1855 in Hallenslo, Holbaek, Denmark, and died 5 Feb 1924 in Draper, Salt Lake, Utah - He married Jane Rasmussen.

There are gaps in some of the birth dates of the children, I don't know if there were other children that died young, I guess research is needed to figure that out. Anyone game?? I don't speak the language.

The last child I know of is Willard Jensen born 28 Mar 1847 in Torpensaret, Hallenslo, Holbaek, Denmark, he died 4 Nov, 1928, somewhere in Utah - he married Mary Christensen.
I'm pretty sure my grandfather John William Jensen knew this family, at least the younger ones. Remember John was born in 1881. I don't think this family settled in Richfield, but some of the children may have. But I think Lars Peter would have kept in touch with his mother and siblings.
That's all I know about the Ole Jensen Family. Hope you enjoyed this little history lesson, any requests on other members of our family??

0 comments: