Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Homes I've lived in!


In scanning in so many pictures I found some of the homes I've live in, I thought it would be fun to show some of them here.

First of all, the first home I "never knew" this is where my parents lived when I was born. I think it's in Upland, California but it might be in Riverside, California. Notice the car in the carport - Mom said the next place we lived was in Texas and she drove that little car all the way to Texas. When Dad was shipped overseas we, Mom and Me, drove back to Utah to my Grandparents. My grandma said I cried with a southern drawl.
After the Army, Dad took a job on the Union Pacific Railroad and we lived in different "sections" of Utah. There was no town there, just houses put up by the Rail Road to accommodate the men that maintained the track. Here is a portion of a house in Blackrock, Utah - am I cute or what??



The next place was Lynndyl, Utah - now isn't this a mottle crew?? From left to right - Tony Fatarsy, Myself, Billo Fararsy and on the end my sister RosaLee, the Fararsy's were friends of Mom and Dads when they were in the Army, they stayed friends for years. They settled in California, I don't remember visiting them in CA, but they did visit us once in a while.
Another Lynndyl, Utah, this is me, I was 10 years old, it was probably my birthday - doesn't this look like a birthday outfit? We are still living in RR Housing, all the houses had large yards, but they were built right along the tracks. We grew up with the sound of air horns, screeching breaks and the rumble of trains right outside our back yard.

I was 12 the summer we left Lynndyl, I love the smallness of Lynndyl, but never did live in any place big, until I had to grow up, so I guess that's why I'm a "small town' girl at heart.

This is the school RosaLee and I attended in Lynndyl, it was the proverable 2 room school, there were only 2 teachers my first and second grade, then they had a baby boom and when RosaLee started, they had to hire another teacher. So, Lynndyl Elementary School! Taken by my very first camera a Brownie Box Camera.

This is our home in Caliente, Nevada on Spring St. Between Lynndyl and Caliente we lived in Eureka, Utah - actually outside of Eureka once again in RR Housing called Tintic. Tintic was also the name of the High School and there I went to 7th and 8th grade. There was one school for 7th through 12 th grades. Anyway this is the first home my parents bought in Caliente. Before this home, we lived in RR Housing in Caliente. Actually in moving to Caliente the RR lost the box car our furniture was in and so for a couple of weeks we lived in a box car pulled on a side track, with a small "hut" (I don't know how else to describe it) close by. We had no running water and the bathroom was a privy away from the living "hut" and box car. Then when they found our furniture we moved into RR Housing, and finally this house on Spring Street. The house is still standing, once in a while when I'm in Caliente I drive past. A fun place to grow up. I was 15 the summer we moved to Caliente.

While living in Caliente, my parents opened a small "cafe" , it was called the "Short Order Cafe" on main street. Here I am
with a friend in the cafe, we were the only place in
town you could get "soft ice cream".

We served a hamburger, with all the trimmings, a scoop of cold slaw and chips for 35 cents. 1959/60. The Short Order Cafe, where I learned to work and boy is the restaurant business hard work.
I was married while we lived in Caliente, my family shortly after moved to Pioche, and opened the Silver Cafe in Pioche. They then bought a home up a hill that was really hard to get up by car when it snowed.

Here is a shot in front of the house looking down the hill, when it snowed it was really slick.

Tareca & Jacquie Joseph(nieces) in the front yard of "The Big House" in Pioche. We called it the big house, but it really isn't that big now. It is now owned by a cousin who bought it from Mom several years ago, she is living in Panaca.

I don't have a photo of the Silver Cafe, but here is one of Mom in front of the Beeline Cafe, she moved down there after several years up town. This cafe was down on the high way. After Dad died she moved a double wide trailer behind the cafe.

This is where Mom lives now called "Ye Ole Homestead" . Mom moved to Panaca many years ago, has since retired from not only the Cafe business but also from working at the Caliente detention center. She has served a mission for the church and still lives here in Panaca with her friend Pappy, her dog.

That's all for now, I'm going to try and clean this up without deleting any pictures which I am really good at. If you have any requests, I'll attempt to do something about them, no promises though!!




0 comments: