Last week my HH (happy hubby) and I "ran away from home". We left Tuesday morning, before breakfast, and headed for the "wilds of Wyoming".
We stopped at Martins Cove, we almost passed it but Gene recognized Devils Gate so our vehicle came to a screeching halt, I'm glad no one was behind us, we turned around and spent a couple of delightful hours re-learning about those wonderful pioneers that were trapped in snow and cold at Martins Cove.
Most of you will probably recognize the sculptors above of the young Priesthood Holders that came to rescue those trapped in the cold and at their own peril carried many of these across the Sweetwater River when they were too cold and weakened to cross it my themselves.
I think Most of you will also recognize this picture of my HH he does get cold now that he's older and the kind folks at Martins Cove provided warmth for old folks. It wasn't snowing however the wind was a little cool!!!
After Martin's Cove we jumped back into our trusty vehicle and continued on, it is now getting late so we decided to stop in Casper, Wyoming for the night. (A side note) I am no longer to drive because of my vision, so my sweetheart has become a marathon driver! We were looking forward to dinner and a warm bed. Unfortunately when we inquired about a bed in Casper they were all taken. There was no place in any Inn for us!! We grabbed a bit to eat "Burger King" Hug!! then continued on our journey. Just out of Casper we found a "Sleep Inn" - stopped to inquire and you guessed it still no place for is at the Sleep Inn. They did call ahead to a motel in Douglas, Wy - indicating that they were latterly "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" to find any room. However, we did have a reservation at a Motel called the Plains Motel. It is now dark, so we plug the address into GERT (our vehicle's gps) and headed to Douglas.
When we arrived at The Plains Motel, Gene's reaction was "OH NO" This does not look good, remember it was dark. I said, it might be OK - Well really the only choice we had was to take this room or sleep in the car, and at our age that was no choice at all - So we took the room. We dubbed it "Motel 2" - even Motel 6 could be this bad. We were afraid to walk on the carpet in bare feet so we wore our socks to bed, just in case we had to get up in the night - we always have to get up in the middle of the night. On the bright side - the bed was clean, I think the fixtures were original 1940's maybe 1950, but that is doubtful. It was a smocking room so you know how that is, I'm glad I had my rescue inhaler with me. All in all it was a bad motel but better than the car.
We woke early and headed out for our destination, Mt. Rushmore South Dakota, but just so we wouldn't have this situation again - Gene called ahead a reserved a room in (I forget) at a place called "The Sky High Lodge", he also reserved a place on a tour bus to see Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills for Thursday. There is a lot more to this adventure, but I'm done for tonight - tune in when I get rested up and can remember my name!! Until next time when we actually visit Mt. Rushmore.
0 comments:
Post a Comment