Sunday, May 27, 2012

Book Report

Our book club this month is reading "My Stroke of Insighte" by Jill Bolte Taylor PhD
I normally prefer fiction, however this book has been very interesting!!  I don't even pretend to understand what she is talking about when she tells about the function of the brain, but many of her deductions are very interesting.

Jill is a "brain research scientist"  She teaches as well as dissects brains to learn more about the brains functions.  To begin with, her interest began from her brother being diagnosed with schizophrenia (yes I had to look up the spelling).  She went on to be a very knowledgeable scientist on the brain.

Then, she had a stroke!!  She describes how she felt when this was happening an goes through thoughts during and after her stroke.  She totally recovered and then has some interesting takes on what your left brain controls, she lost total function of her left brain.  She could not speak, understand numbers and other functions that are controlled by the left side of her brain. 

Zero in on chapter 17, she tells us that the left brain controls most emotions and it only takes 90 seconds for anger and other negative emotions to curse through your blood stream and then it should be gone.  Therefore, you have a choice to continue to feel anger or simply "give it up".  

It's very interesting, I must confess that I skipped the chapters where she was describing the brain - sorry they were too technical for me, some of the works I could not even pronounce let alone know what they mean.  So, if you want something challenging - you can probably get at your local library, it is not a book that is really in demand.    Happy Reading!! 


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book report! This is right in my line of intereste. IF I ever considered going on to a PhD, I'm interested in what is termed Educational Neuroscience. Basically, learning to teach in a brain-friendly manner. I am totally intrigued by recent discoveries in brain mapping! I'll check it out. In July.