Thursday, January 13, 2011

Utah Observations!

I love Utah - sometimes it is so cold here Gene and I try to wait out the other to go get the car started. First thing we do is turn on the seat warmers and then the heater goes on full bore!!!

Interesting living in Utah - They don't worry about the snow, they quite often welcome it. Driving in it scares me to death - the first time out after we moved here we got stuck in our drive way in the snow. The neighbors took pity on us and dug us out. The reason we had to go out was we hadn't gone to the grocery store and had no food, except food storage, in the house. Now when the news or paper or anyone says we are going to have snow, I head to the grocery store and stock up. We also bought a snow shovel.

Last week we had an "inversion". In So Cal we had "bad air quality" or sometimes down right out and out SMOG. They don't have smog in Utah - they have an inversion. That is why they like snow so much. I was watching the news the other night and the weatherman was downright cheerful because he was predicting snow, and it was going to get rid of the "inversion".

However, we love it here - our little home is warm and cozy (we bought some flannel sheets and put an electric blanket on the bed.) I've learned to stock up on necessities as soon as someone mentions snow, and I have several stitching projects in the works including one with my sister.

We are pretty much "put together" the book shelves are up and full, I love books as well. The quilt frame is up with a beautiful quilt almost finished, we put the TV in the den and when it gets too loud I just close the door - tight!!!

And, it's always fun to have company - there are clean sheets on the Guest bedroom/library and we would love to have your feet under our table. Did I mention I really stock up on groceries when it threatens snow!!!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

We also like snow because, oddly enough, it often means slightly warmer temperatures. We're in the 30s instead of the 20s, ya know? Glad you're still happy about your move! It's been fun having you so close.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I might add to your transition is that you might consider stocking up on groceries before a snow storm = }

I remember the inversions. When I lived in Orem in the early 80's I went for 32 days without seeing the sun. Not a good thing for me. I'm a plant and need sunlight. Daily. I love my desert. You can keep your snow and your inversions. I'll come put my feet under your table for a bit, however! And help with the groceries.

Kay said...

It sounds as though you are totally together. would love to come and visit at some point. We are possibly thinking of a graduation trip for our youngest son in April...keep hoping here. Hugs

Asuka Cuff said...

Okay, grandma...I don't want to go back to Utah, yet. I thought I miss snow, but reading your stories reminded me how much I hated driving in snow in Logan. I guess I will enjoy being in CA for a little bit longer. I just miss you guys though!!

I want to see your new quilt when it's done:)